Trade Insurance Reviews

Trade Risk is proud to be the only insurance group recommended by Carpentry Australia.

Carpentry Insurance

We specialise in carpenters insurance and can help you with a range of covers including public liability, tool insurance, income protection and more.

If you’re a builder we can also assist with all of your builders insurance needs.

For a quote on your insurance please call us on 1800 808 800 or click here for an instant quote.

Get Quotes

We’ve been looking after carpenters since 2010 and currently manage the insurance needs of around 1,000 chippies and builders from all over Australia.

We offer competitive premiums, quality coverage, award-winning service and claims support.  Every client has their own dedicated account manager who is a fully qualified insurance broker.

Because we look after so many carpenters we have have negotiated better public liability insurance rates, and our system can give you instant quotes and immediate cover when buying online.

Call us today on 1800 808 800 or click here for a quote.

Trade Risk Press

Carpenters love Trade Risk!

We take a lot of pride in the high level of service and competitive premiums that we offer to carpenters.

Feefo Customer Reviews

Independent global review company Feefo collects ratings and reviews from all Trade Risk clients, and we are pleased to have a customer satisfaction rating of over 98%.

You can view the reviews and ratings from our clients by visiting our testimonials page.  You might be surprised to see how glowing in their praise tradies can be about a humble insurance business!

Here are a couple of our favourite carpenters insurance reviews from just this year:

“Very efficient and easy to deal with, prices are very competitive also.  Second time round we’ve used Trade Risk for our insurance and will continue to next year.”

Joshua | Carpenter | NSW | June 2018

“In the time I have been with Trade Risk (4 years now) I have found them to be competitively priced with good customer service. They know their products well.”

Peter | Carpenter | VIC | May 2018

“Great service in rolling over my insurance needs.  The process was clear, simple and quick. Cheers.”

John | Carpenter | QLD | February 2018

“An extremely streamlined service with an effortless procedure for your insurance needs.  I highly recommend Trade Risk for all your small business needs”.

Doug | Carpenter | WA | February 2018

Sound too good to be true?  Every one of them has been independently verified by Feefo as a genuine review from a genuine client.  You can read all of our reviews on our Feefo Trade Risk page.

Which Carpenters Need Insurance?

All carpenters can benefit from some forms of insurance, but when it comes to those who really need to have it, we are mainly looking at subcontractors and those running their own carpentry businesses.

Whether or not you need insurance such as public liability or income protection will depend heavily on the building sites you work on and the construction companies you do work for.

Many of these sites, especially the larger ones, will have mandatory insurance requirements for self-employed carpenters.

But… regardless of whether the sites you work on require insurance, having public liability and income protection is vital for any self-employed carpenter, or any tradie for that matter.  Without insurance you’re taking a massive financial risk.

We’ll take a closer look at some of the most popular forms of carpenters insurance next.

Public Liability Insurance

When it comes to carpenters, public liability insurance is the one form of cover which is most commonly required.

This form of insurance can protect you financially if your work activities result in property damage or personal injury to another person.


Claims can range anywhere from the very minor, such as a few hundred dollars for a window you’ve broken, through to the very serious, such as a person being killed or seriously injured as a result of your work.

Without public liability insurance, a carpenter could face financial ruin if a large claim was to occur.  Even a relatively small claim could wipe out a couple of months’ profit.  With the right insurance in place you can rest easy.

Public liability can also provide limited cover for faulty workmanship, which can be very important for carpenters.

In most cases cover is limited to property damage or personal injury as a result of the faulty workmanship, and not the rectification of the faulty work itself.

For example if you built a pergola that collapsed due to a mistake you made, the policy would respond in the event that a falling beam injured someone below, but it wouldn’t cover the replacement or rebuilding of the pergola.

We can offer a genuine faulty workmanship cover option for carpenters.  Please speak with us for more information and a quote.

You can find out more about public liability insurance for carpenters by following the link to our dedicated page, or click the button below for an online quote.

Get Quotes

Income Protection

Which trade do we receive the highest number of claims for income protection for?  You guessed it – carpenters!

As self-employed carpenters are not covered by sick leave, and in most cases workers compensation, many worksites have mandatory requirements for income protection.

Income protection can replace up to 75% of a carpenters income in the event that he or she cannot work for a period of time due to sickness or injury.

Carpenter Nail Gun Injury

One of the common claims we see from carpenters involve nail gun incidents, and the picture to the right shows the x-ray of one of our clients who made a successful claim.

A nail through the wrist can put you out of action for more than a month, making income protection very important.

For more information please visit our income protection guide or click the button below to request a quote.

Get Quotes

Tool Insurance

Unfortunately thefts of tradie’s tools are becoming all too common.

Plenty of people would blame the so-called ‘ice epidemic’, and they’re probably not far wrong…

There are plenty of ways to protect your tools, but ultimately if someone wants them badly enough, there’s a good chance they’ll get them.

Stolen Tools

So that leaves tool insurance as the best way to protect yourself.

For some unknown reason tool insurance seems to get a bad wrap in online forums and social media, with people saying it is very expensive and difficult to claim on.

This couldn’t be further from the truth.  A carpenter can access $5,000 cover for around $300 a year, or $10,000 cover for around $550 a year.

This will cover your tools in the event of theft from a secure location, accidental damage, damage caused by fire or lightning, and damage caused in a vehicle collision or rollover.

To claim all you need is a police report, evidence of ownership (purchase receipts preferably) and replacement quotes.

It can take a few weeks for a claim to be finalised and paid, but waiting a couple of weeks and getting paid is a whole lot better than not getting paid at all.

Please note that we can only offer tool insurance when combined with public liability.

Commercial Motor Insurance

Where would a carpenter be without his (or her) ute?

It carries your tools and often carries your materials, and without it you’d be hard-pressed to keep on working and earning.

Of course you can get car insurance for your ute, van or truck from anywhere these days, but there are benefits to arranging it through Trade Risk.

Flood Ranger

Aside from the convenience of having us manage all of your business insurance types and the ability to combine them into a single monthly payment, we can also arrange more comprehensive cover.

If you have your ute insured with someone like NRMA or AAMI, you’ll have a basic policy that is the same as any other road user.

But as a carpentry business owner, you might find that the cover is a little slim compared to what you could get from a proper commercial motor insurance policy.

Areas affected could include your fit-out (such as ladder racks, shelving and built-in tool boxes) as well as signage if you have a full wrap on your vehicle.

This guide will help to explain the benefits of a proper commercial motor insurance policy compared with a standard car insurance policy for a tradie.

Get Quotes

Life, TPD & Trauma Insurance

In addition to income protection, some carpenters will also hold life insurance, TPD and trauma insurance.

In short, these policies cover the following:

Life Insurance – Covers you in the event of your death or diagnosis of a terminal illness.

TPD Insurance – Covers you in the event that you suffer an injury or illness which leaves you unlikely to ever return to work.

Trauma Insurance – Covers you in the event you are diagnosed with a critical illness.

For more information on these covers we recommend you speak with a financial adviser.  Trade Risk has a specialist financial adviser we can refer to you.

Other Forms of Insurance for Carpenters

Whilst it is not a mandatory form of insurance, many carpenters also have tool insurance in place to protect their tools.

A decent tool insurance policy will cover the cost of your tools if they are stolen or damaged through fire, storm or a vehicle collision.

Many carpenters, especially those with a wife and children to support, include life insurance in their tradesman insurance package.

Get Quote Square

Life insurance along with associated covers such as trauma and TPD insurance can help to ensure that your family are looked after if something goes wrong.

Things to look out for

No matter what types of cover you are considering, there are a few things to look out for which are specific to carpentry.


If you are undertaking any formwork it is vital that you let your broker or insurance company know.

If the amount of formwork is less than 50% of your overall work you should still be able to obtain a standard policy, but you’ll still need to let us know.

For carpenters undertaking more than 50% formwork you may need a specialised policy, however this is still something that Trade Risk can assist you with.

Building licence

If you operate under your own building licence you will also need to let us know.

This won’t affect your ability to obtain insurance, but we still need to know as some insurance companies won’t cover carpenters with their own building licence.

If you are subcontracting to someone else who has a building licence there is no impact on your insurance.

Using subcontractors

The use of subcontractors can also have an impact on your insurance, especially if subcontractors make up more than 20% of your total turnover.

If you use subbies on any of your jobs please let us know so that we can ensure the policy we recommend to you is suitable for your needs.

All three of the issues raised above, being formwork, building license and subcontractors, relate to your public liability insurance only.

They also relate to all brokers and insurers, not just Trade Risk. So even if you don’t go with us, they are still important points to ask your broker or insurer about.

Carpenters Insurance Quotes

Here at Trade Risk we specialise in insurance for carpenters and can assist you with quotes on a range of different insurance types.

The team of insurance brokers and financial advisers we work with are experts in their field, and will work together to ensure you have the right package to suit your needs as well as your budget.

For more information or to get a quote give us a call on 1800 808 800 or complete our online form.

Tradies Love Trade Risk

In 2017 Trade Risk was awarded a Gold Trusted Service Award for the amazing service we offer to thousands of tradies from around Australia.

  • "Would recommend"
    | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "GOOD --reminded me it was coming up for renewal .. BAD ---Expensive"
    Brian Arthur Chedgey | Tradesman Insurance | melbourne
  • "Trade Risk insurance is Very good with Customer service and make it easy to deal with them I would anticipate to staying longer with Trade Risk Insurance"
    Saiyaaz Khan | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "good"
    The Trustee for K W Haase Family Trust | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "Great service,prompt and helpful."
    | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "Not much to report other than best priced insurance"
    | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "Trade Risk are always so easy to deal with and give you the best value, your one stop insurance shop!"
    Simon Betsarkis | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "So far so good I have not had to make a claim and therefore don't know what to expect, but the contact service is good."
    David Vickers | Tradesman Insurance | Altona Meadows, Vic
  • "The renewal was Easy and yes I would recommend"
    Pilkington Mechanical Services Pty Ltd | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "Good"
    | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "No fuss seamless insurance process, very helpful in my busy job"
    John Gilbert | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "Easy to renew in an instant"
    Cliff Dawson | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "Great service, great to deal with!"
    Kristian Petersen T/As Bayside Building And Extensions | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "would recommend and will use again"
    | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "All good, no problems"
    | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "Impressed with ease of getting an online quote and also the price. Had trouble completing it online but I think that may be my old computer. Pleasant experience talking with staff to complete insurance cover and all email information I have received appears complete."
    D & C GILBERT ELECTRICS | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "Good customer service"
    Jason Campbell Brown | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "Getting u the best prices and always there to help"
    Conworx Pty Ltd | Tradesman Insurance |