If you’re a tradie, the last thing you want to do it make a claim. But even worse is not being able to make a claim because you didn’t have insurance…

Tradies face a range of risks on the worksite, but thankfully there are a range of insurance products designed to protect tradies and their businesses.

The most common claims on tradies insurance tend to be for tool insurance, however there are still claims for other covers such as public liability and income protection which go through every day in Australia.

In this guide we will take a look at some of the most common claims for tradies in Australia.

Stolen or Damaged Tools

A tradies tools are vital to earning an income. Without them most tradies will be unable to work, and will have no choice but to dip into their own pocket to replace their tools.

Stolen Tools

Tool insurance protects against this risk by covering the cost of your tools. If your tools have been stolen, it is important to report the theft to the police, as your insurance company will need a copy of the police report in order to pay your claim.

Once the police have been notified, the next step is to contact your insurance company or broker and advise them of the claim.

The insurance company will require evidence of your ownership, which can generally be met through receipts or other evidence which links to you the item, such as instruction manuals or packaging for the stolen items.

Property Damage & Personal Injury to Others

Some of the largest insurance claims for tradies insurance are for property damage or personal injury that they cause to other people as a result of their business activities.

In the case of this type of incident occurring, you must let the insurance company know about the details as soon as possible.

It is also important not to accept any blame or responsibility for the incident, as your insurance company will first need to investigate the incident before any blame can be apportioned.

Loss of Income

Being a job which involves plenty of manual work, it is not uncommon for tradies to need time away from work due to injuries or illness.

For a tradie on wages this won’t be such as issue, since they have access to sick leave, but for a self-employed tradesman there is no sick leave, and therefore no income.

An income protection claim can be lodged with your insurance company once you have been away from work for long enough to satisfy your waiting period. It is a good idea to contact your insurance company or adviser early however, rather than waiting until the end of the waiting period.

Unless you provided evidence at the time of applying for the income protection insurance, you will have to provide the insurance company with evidence of your currency earnings. This is generally done through the provision of recent tax returns.

Making a Claim

Whenever you need to make a claim on your insurance, regardless of what type of tradesman insurance you have, the best bet is to speak with your insurance adviser or insurance company immediately to notify them of the details.

Your insurance company may give you specific instructions to follow, especially in the case of a public liability insurance claim, and not following these instructions could put your claim in jeopardy.

The whole reason for a tradie to hold insurance is to ensure that they are protected. Insurance companies are more than happy to pay claims, but they need you to cooperate at all times to ensure a smooth and successful claim.

Tradies Love Trade Risk

In 2017 Trade Risk was awarded a Gold Trusted Service Award for the amazing service we offer to thousands of tradies from around Australia.

  • "real;y good"
    Tercom Pty Ltd | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "The price was on point and the service was also great."
    | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "Excellent customer service and easy payment options"
    | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "The team always helpful."
    | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "They were pleasant to deal with when I first took the policy out and I am happy with their service."
    Gary Rodney Latcham | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "Easy to use, heaps of advance notice for when insurance is expiring. Great communication."
    Ricky Gan | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "Price is great Some emails and returning my calls were non existent even after asking a second time I rang for different premiums with increased excesses, spoke to someone, received no reply, rang again and left message but was not rung back"
    Richard WIlliam Morris | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "Pretty good .. jus t let us know the insurance is goin up if ur automatic do it"
    Ben Andrew Kerkham | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "Everyone I spoke to was helpful friendly and informative. But the computer system was down so I was not able to apply online myself or pay immediately over the phone. But I cannot fault the staff who did all in their power to help make insurance simple and easy as possible. Thankyou!"
    James Cameron | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "TradeRisk just make it so easy with their online tools."
    Alister Andrew Campbell | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "Easy to renew insurance"
    | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "My renewal quote was significantly less expensive than other companies could offer. The renewal process was simple and efficient. I've (thankfully) never needed to make a claim on a policy so cannot comment of the procedure here. I hope I never have to."
    | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "Yes I would recommend them, very efficient and prompt."
    Alan Sharpe | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "Quick and easy....Good value."
    G.a Turner & T.l Turner | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "Great trade insurance A+"
    | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "Very helpful good value and friendly would recommend"
    | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "Good experience."
    KNR Services Pty Ltd | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "Excellent service and nothing was a problem and a pleasure to talk to"
    | Tradesman Insurance |
Share via