As a carpenter there a number of different insurance types you might need.

Which ones you need depends upon how you operate, and particularly on whether or not you’re self-employed.

If you’re reading this guide presumably you are working for yourself, so that’s what we’ll focus on.

We’ve insured over 8,000 tradies since 2010, many of them carpenters, so you can be assured we know what we’re talking about.

Subcontractor / Sole Trader

If you’re subcontracting to others or working as a sole trader on your own small to medium projects, there is really no difference in the insurance you need.

The main type of cover you will need is public liability insurance.

You can get an instant quote for carpenters public liability by entering your details below, or continuing reading if you’re not ready for a quote yet.

If you ‘d just like to speak to someone, please call us on 1800 808 800 and our award-winning team will be happy to assist.

Trade Insurance Awards
Press - Tradies Insurance


If you’re subcontracting to others you may well have been asked for a ‘certificate of currency’ at some point.  This would be related to public liability.

Some subcontractors believe they are covered by the builder’s public liability, but this is very rarely the case, so we recommend checking with the builder.

Public liability covers you in the event that your negligence results in property damage or personal injury to a third party.

The minimum amount of cover is $5,000,000 and there are also options for $10m and $20m.

As a self-employed carpenter you should also consider income protection.

Without access to sick leave or worker’s compensation you’ll be on your own in the event that you suffer an injury or illness that leaves you unable to work for a period of time.

Subcontractors working on certain worksites will need to provide evidence of income protection before being allowed on site.  This is generally only the case with larger building companies.

Regardless of whether or not you need it to get onto the site, income protection is a very good idea for any carpenter not on wages.

This type of insurance will cover a large percentage of your income for a period of time whilst you are unable to work due to injury or illness.

Another important form of cover for any carpenter is tool insurance.

Unfortunately there are plenty of low-lifes out there willing to take other people’s gear, and the power tools commonly used in carpentry are prime targets.

What these thieves don’t understand (or don’t care about) is that they’re not just stealing a chippie’s tools – they are stealing their livelihood.

A good tool insurance policy will cover your gear in the event of theft following forced entry, along with damage caused in a fire, vehicle collision or rollover.

Company – without staff

If you’ve made the step up from subbie or sole trader to a Pty Ltd company there may or may not be some changes to what insurance you need.

Ultimately the main three – public liability, income protection and tool insurance – are still going to be required.

The only real difference is that the policies will be in your company name rather than your personal name.

If you’re taking on larger projects it might be time to consider contract works insurance.

This type of insurance is similar to public liability in many ways, but goes further in terms of providing protection for building projects you are responsible for.

If you have your own workshop you’ll need to look at insuring the premises (if owned) or any plant, machinery and stock that may be kept on the premises.

Once you’ve gone beyond the standard self-employed carpenter we strongly recommend speaking with one of our trade insurance experts about your needs.

Whilst we’re looking after plenty of chippies with basic needs, we can still look after you as your business morphs into more of a building or construction company.

Company – with staff

Having staff generally doesn’t change a great deal when it comes to the main types of insurance.

You’ll still need to protect your company with public liability, and no doubt you’ll still have plenty or gear to protect with tool insurance.

In addition to the insurance types already mentioned in this guide you’ll also need to take out workers compensation insurance.

Sometimes known as workers comp or work cover, this type of insurance is mandatory in all Australian states if you employ staff.

Depending on which state you’re located in, sometimes this insurance is looked after by the state government (eg. QLD) and in other states it can be looked after by your broker.

Management liability insurance is also worth considering once you get to the point of having staff on the books.

Although Trade Risk doesn’t provide online quotes for some of these types of insurance, we can certainly still assist with them.

Other insurance types

Aside from what we’ve already listed above there are some other insurance types worth considering.

Insuring your ute, van or truck is obviously a given, and at Trade Risk we can assist you with these regardless of whether you have a single vehicle or a fleet.

On the personal side you might want to consider life insurance and TPD insurance, especially if you have debts or dependants to look after.

We don’t look after life and TPD insurance directly, however we do have a referral partner who looks after hundreds of our tradie clients.

Trade Risk – The carpentry insurance experts

So now that you know what insurance a carpentry needs, who should you trust to look after it all for you?

Obviously we think Trade Risk are the right choice, but don’t take our word for it!

We have hundreds of testimonials from our carpentry clients which number close to one thousand.

You can view all of our testimonials right here.

If you’d like more information or advice on carpenters insurance please get in touch with us.

We can provide you with an instant quote on your public liability and tools via our website, or we can have a more in depth chat over the phone if you have more complex needs or just prefer to talk.

Author: Shane Moore.  Last updated: 15/05/2019.


Tradies Love Trade Risk

In 2017 Trade Risk was awarded a Gold Trusted Service Award for the amazing service we offer to thousands of tradies from around Australia.

  • "Straight forward, easy to follow and then fast service from one of their customer service reps once online forms were completed"
    Cameron Verrills Constructions Pty Limited | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "Great service well set up"
    | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "To many emails, I almost blocked your site because you won't stop emailing me"
    | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "I purchased a new policy and it was tricky so there were a lot of emails back and forth to make sure I had the correct cover. Cheryl Boyd was super friendly, patient and professional! I really like giving good customer service but I love it when it comes back! I'm really happy with Trade Risk services and staff. Thank you."
    Benjamin Moncrieff T/As Hot Wash Pressure Cleaning | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "Good prices very professional easy to work with"
    Ian Spicer | Tradesman Insurance | Adelaide
  • "I found it very easy to do. People who I spoke over the phone were very helpful and I would definitely use the again"
    | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "Helpful staff"
    | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "Easy to renew. hassle free."
    Richard Jaskolski T/As Jacks Maintenance Services Mortdale | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "Renewed my insurance easily and without any hassles, will use them again next year"
    Ashley Joseph D'Rose | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "Excellent service"
    Barry William Crowe | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "Communication and contact support."
    | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "Great service and communication on all of my dealings with them"
    Super Inspect Pty Ltd | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "Simple and easy process to go through and would highly recommend this service to anyone"
    Tony | Tradesman Insurance | Sydney
  • "Exceeded expectations, great service"
    Cewe Pty Ltd | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "Cheap price, never had to claim so not sure how well it will hold up as a policy with loopholes etc"
    | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "Quick process exelent treatment to the client."
    | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "Excellent service"
    | Tradesman Insurance |
  • "Timely reminders and quick response emails."
    The Trustee For The Stephen & Yvonne Henry Family Trust T/As SYS Creative Pty Ltd | Tradesman Insurance |